Cantonments were set up primarily to quarter troops that necessitiated provision of civic amenities such as houses, shops, schools, cinemas, clubs, banks etc. Certain land was, therefore, allotted on lease for such purposes under the provisions of Cantonment Codes of 1899 and 1912 and Cantonment Land Administration Rules (CLAR) of 1925 and 1937. Leases were granted for various tenures on payment of appropriate premium and annual rent. Some of these leases were granted in perpetuity and fixed tenures while others were renewable. Such sites are placed under the management of Cantonment Boards and Defence Estates Officers. There are about 7300 leased sites.