Certain sites were initially granted  in Jammu & Kashmir on Wasidari leases under the J&K Rules 1905 for Allotment of Building Sites.  The leased sites were included inside Cantonments and were  placed under the control of the Cantonment Authority by virtue of Command Order No. 93 dated 31.3.1938 of the then Maharaja of Jammu & Kashmir. The Cantonment Authority was also given powers to collect ground rent etc. from the lessees. After merger of the State with the Union of India, Badamibagh and Jammu Cantonments were taken over by the Central Government and the administrative control of these leased sites was transferred from the Cantonment Authority to the Military Estates Officer (now Defence Estates Officer) in 1954.